Accreditation Scheme>Proficiency Testing Providers
Proficiency Testing ProvidersAccreditation Scheme
The accreditation scheme for a proficiency testing provider is one to assess and accredit the organization conducting a range of activities for
development and provision of proficiency testing in accordance with relative international standards.
Types of Proficiency Test
- Measurement Audits: The test to evaluate testing and measurement competence of a participating organization by using reference materials with known property values
- Interlaboratory Comparisons: The test designed and conducted by two or more testing and calibration laboratories to evaluate their testing competence under predetermined conditions with the same or similar test object(s)
Requirements for KOLAS Proficiency Test
To continuously prove their measurement competence, KOLAS accredited testing and calibration laboratories shall participate in proficiency tests accredited by KOLAS for at least once in every three years in each major accreditation field.
In case of the initial application for KOLAS accreditation, testing and calibration laboratories shall submit records of participation in measurement audits (applicable to calibration laboratories) or other proficiency tests accredited by KOLAS on one or more items per each ‘Division’ being applied for (one or more items per each ‘Group’ for calibration laboratories).
KOLAS accredited conformity assessment bodies (CABs) that produced unsatisfactory results shall inspect and analyze the cause and take appropriate corrective actions.
The CABs that produced unsatisfactory results shall submit Corrective Action Report to the KOLAS Secretariat within 30 days from the date being notified.
Information included in Corrective Actions Report
Identified potential cause for the unsatisfactory results
Details of the corrective actions taken
If necessary, evidence documents to prove effectiveness of the corrective actions (e.g., results of retesting using reference materials)
If necessary, KOLAS can seek consultancy from technical experts or conduct on-site assessments with appropriate assessors.
The CABs who have completed corrective actions shall investigate its impact on test reports they have issued, and contact their customers who suffered unduly.
Proficiency Testing Schemes recognized by KOLAS
(1) The proficiency testing schemes conducted by any KOLAS accredited proficiency testing provider
(2) The proficiency testing schemes complying with ISO/IEC 17043, which are organized by regional laboratory accreditation cooperation, including Asia Pacific Accreditation Cooperation (APAC) and European Cooperation for Accreditation (EA), and other relevant international organizations
(3) The proficiency testing schemes conducted by the proficiency testing providers accredited in accordance with ISO/IEC 17043 by an accreditation body, which is a signatory to the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC) MRA
(4) The proficiency testing schemes operated by other regulators or government agencies that satisfy the requirements in KS Q ISO/IEC 17043 and are recognized by the Head of KOLAS
(5) Other interlaboratory (or intra-laboratory) comparisons or measurement audits that are recognized by the Head of KOLAS
Note: In case there is no proficiency testing scheme available under Paragraphs 1 to 4 above, Appendix 2 (Operational Procedures for Interlaboratory Comparisons and Measurement Audits) of the Regulations on Proficiency Testing Schemes shall be applied.
Applicable Documents and Laws
- Relevant Laws and Standards
- Framework Act on National Standards
- Enforcement Decree of the Framework Act on National Standards
- KOLAS Regulations on the Accreditation of Calibration Laboratories
- KOLAS Regulations on the Accreditation of Testing Laboratories and Inspection Bodies
- KOLAS Regulations on the Accreditation of Medical Testing Laboratories
- Regulations on Proficiency Testing Schemes
- KOLAS Regulations on the Accreditation of Proficiency Testing Providers
- KS Q ISO/IEC 17043 Conformity Assessment - General Requirements for Proficiency Testing